Saturday 3 April 2010

Calling All Actors and All Actresses!! Now! Not 125 years later

Dear Nez

Hi!!!!! I haven't seen you for ages, I'm just being cheeky writing to you- how're you doing? I am actually writing to you about comedy, drama, and even potentially a bit of TV.

Vicky is coming to see us in a couple of weeks... I saw her 3 times last year... was eating strawberries and drinking champagne.

I know I'm really busy and shouldn't write too many emails, but there's stuff I'm going to do.

Basically, I propose to do (a) music making to produce songs about elementary neuroscience (b) potentially graphic books about neuroscience issues, in the category of entertainment and comedy, I do have very decent art skills from art foundation and (c) maybe tentatively , the making of comedy to related themes. I've been doing comedy improv for fun, it's hilarious, but anything acting-related is stuff I feel I have the least understanding of: I got a grade 7 in acting, I don't even know what that means.

So, to get to the point,
all of this is because I have come to realise that the world faces a huge challenge, a huge problem that is barely publicized. In a way, it is a medical- physiological problem, on the same scale as cancer in terms of how many lives are ruined/ affected but the media does not talk about it nearly enough. Thinking of perspectives from the history of medicine, it's a lot of waiting and anticipating before someone wins the Nobel Prize and finally gets the cure, but a lot of suffering before that. To be clear, the problem is narcissistic personality disorder and anti-social personality disorder.

So, what's the relevance to comedy and entertainment? For reasons that really take quite some time to explain, comedy is potentially one of the very few effective means of engaging attention on this issue, which is also why I want to produce semi-popular music on it as it's one of the very few effective means of raising attention.

This is not meant to trivialize the predicament of victims, but to reach out to people with basic scientific facts that they need before they get into serious trouble, so my mission has a huge humanitarian motivation.

To get more specific about acting, and what acting-related stuff I can do, I am hoping that I will be able to work with writers/ actors to get the talented actors to act out something, hopefully film it with any odd domestic equipment/ semi-domestic equipment, and do something with it in a business plan, send it out everywhere to people who need to see it the most (nearly 100% of the population, really. Fine, if they have the patience, go into the British libarary to dig out books published by Yale University Press instead like I did...)

I don't really know how the commissioning structures of the drama world work, but narcissistic sociopaths, also called persons with Anti-social personality disorder, cost 31,240 pounds of tax per sociopath per year, incurring a huge and incredible amount of human suffering (myself being one victim. So I am trying to act fast instead of leaving the problem there for 100 years or so, the world has wrestled with this problem unsuccessfully for the past 100 years, in fact, for the past 2000 years.

In terms of the sketch itself, it would be good if the writer(s) (and I have relevant knowledge from reading 12 psychology books) can concentrate on a few concepts:

-the obsessive concern with the age of 15
-the concept of permanence, something that doesn't revert back to what it was before
-one character changing his life's history with every new character coming along- where he was born, in what circumstances he was born in, who his parents were, who his extended family were
-most importantly, a sketch on deception. According to the DSM-IV, diagnostic statistical manual of mental disorders fourth edition, pathological lying is one prominent condition of antisocial personality disorder, and it succeeds for a while, even up to a year sometimes, because of the processes of socialization and unsuspecting victims.

etc.
these are some provisional ideas.
I was really shocked to learn that anti-social personality disorder is set by the age of 15. It was one hell of a super difficult job for me to even get through to the word 'sociopath' as my school never told me anything about them. I didn't realise most psychopaths are not serial killers (psychopaths are sociopaths) and I didn't realise that most sociopaths actually live outside prison and I didn't realise that 4% of the population are actually sociopathic, getting through twice a dozen victims each year and it is like that every year since the age of 15. People need to know this so that they are better at staying away and avoiding them fast. I didn't manage to avoid it all, but was fighting fraud fiercely in summer '09 and Earl of Home wrote me a nice letter when he was on holiday and he called himself David....!!!!!

We don't really normally think about the age of 15. Recently, I've been quite obsessively interested in the age of 8 because of greek mythological stuff that I've been enjoying in my leisure time, this princess got a vision on her 8th birthday, on the prince's 8th birthday something would happen- ah nice.
I'm just thinking, it could be nice to do some social drama, but still drama of good quality- not drama of diminished quality because its social nature gives some excuse for the quality to be reduced.

So: I could have 2 13-yr-old characters having a fun chat, talking about how life will be like at the age of 15;
in another scene, I could have 3 15-yr-old characters having a fun chat about oh HOW FIFTEEN WE ARE!!!
Then in yet another scene, have some 18yr old, 20yr old, 35yr old, 55yr old etc. characters reminiscing about things that happened when they were fifteen- totally unrelated to antisocial personality disorder. It's all a laugh.

So this is a sketch obsessively going on about being fifteen years old, and the audience needs to be very gently introduced to the occurrence of anti-social personality disorder by the age of 15, maybe in a screen with text written on it, and this is really the unfunny part. But, they need to realise that a problem exists so that if it affects them and they encounter an ASPD (for example, anaroexia is another problem , etc) they know where to begin research and access other scientific facts, like it is just not their fault, ASPDs are remorseless (which is the chilling thing) , etc.

Inevitably, this is very sensitive, but telling people out there is a lot better than leaving them out there to die, people need to know that problems are out there so they can figure out how to handle them, not remain oblivious to them at their peril. Likewise, I think a sketch on deception could be really awesome and fun, but this also has the very serious side and the fun is not meant to be at the expense of suffering victims etc. it is there to prevent suffering more than the status quo reduces suffering. The sketch can just be based on some very basic domestic scenarios, 'did you take my hand mirror?? Do you know anything about it? ' ... 'nope', that kind of stuff

Just to give you some reasons/ notes on why people do not already know about personality disorders:

psychologists with PhDs who've been based at Harvard for 20+years etc. have felt incredibly frustrated that the media does not raise nearly enough attention that the issue deserves. This is at the expense of ordinary people who suffer the most
the media don't even write the word 'sociopath' in the magazines, newspapers etc, for fear of getting sued by that sociopath in a 100,000 pounds defamation lawsuit. Even if the magazine successfully defends, it is possible that the sociopath will never be able to pay the defence costs from getting ordered by the courts to pay it, so even if the sociopath goes bankrupt, the media organizations has lost 100,000 pounds or so- and may have to file for bankruptcy too. Basically, we have to rely on far less traditional means of getting the message out.
a lot of victims die, like they're made homeless then they die of some random disease, they die of post-traumatic stress disorders etc, suicide etc., out of those who live, most do not want to talk about their traumas. The government gets very inaccurate statistics on the number of cases etc., they really should recommend to the boards of education that all 16-yr-olds and 17-yr-olds should be educated about antisocial personality disorder, the same way they are educated about smoking, contraceptives, anaroexia, gender differences etc. But as the information they're getting is so inaccurate, it's not enough for them to rely on to propose educational schemes. So most people still grow up into people who don't understand some of the dangers that they have to face, in my case my life was going great and then it completely fell apart and Parliament has been taking good good care of me, phoning me up more often than my friends call me!

Okay then, without meaning to make this email even longer, I hope I haven't scared you off completely!!! So I basically have a social drama proposal, at least I want to tell you about it even though I don't quite know what directions you're going in and I don't know if you'll be able to do anything about it. But I am certain that the TV will have to cover this stuff somehow. If it is really boring nobody will pay attention and few will be saved, that's also the problem. I could just go and write the studies/ sketches on deception etc., it is just so time-consuming and I wouldn't mind working with someone to take some workload off. I am very happy to utilize the knowledge in psychology that I've had to gain (no one helped me really!!!! So I had to do it myself! Painful, read so many books that it made me sick, I've got studied by sociologists in Texas and psychologists too) . Music-wise I'll be out hunting for a guitarist and composer, I have music 'oh... they are so bad for you..... they're bad for fish eyes... bad for frogs' legs... bad for cats' tails.... bad for you and me.... they are sociopaths'

I don't really believe in bitter things like writing letters to press for the release of prisoners who're imprisoned for complicated reasons, human rights issues. The difficulty with this sort of thing is that it can accomplish little, make me feel bitter and depressed when I wasn't directly involved, and even add some risk to myself in making my name and address known to some really quite scary people. I would rather be joyous and proposing to save the world at the same time, I don't want to wait for so many deaths in the next 100 years for me to wonder hmmm shall I do something about this then?

I don't think it does any harm for a writer and even some actors to work with me. It is about a set of generic stuff, not connected with any one person's particular case. It's disconnected from politics and law (often 2 very sensitive and controversial things) so I don't think professionals can get their lives into trouble from doing this project, it's just helping people. I've already told my ex-landlordie actors about all this, I can always contact every writer-actor I can think of, even if I get through over a hundred who're all doing something else I am sure I will eventually make a link with the appropriate writers/ actors who will get up and get all of this work done, under whatever commissioning structures and systems that they find feasible. It's far better than waiting and waiting for stuff that will never get done. But if you know anyone who is interested in this project, please send them all my way!!

Happy Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment